Drilling and Well Completion - Carl Gatlin

Konten [Tampil]
Drilling, Well Completion, Handbook, Carl Gatlin



PREFACE

In this book I have attempted to present an integrated picture of drilling and well completion operations as they are normally encountered by the petroleum engineer. In order to do this without assuming prior knowledge in the field, it was necessary to introduce a number of rather general topics. The chapters on reservoir fluid properties, reservoir rock properties, exploration and leasing practices, core analysis, well logging and formation damage fall into this category/ the coverage in these sections is, of course, limited, and the emphasis in on the problem at hand rather than overall implications. It is hoped, however that these treatments will form a sound basis for later, more detailed study

Petroleum engineering curricula vary widely as to the level at which the drilling courses is taught. By including the necessary background material this text may be used in a first course. Similarly, by proper selection and deletion of chapters it can serve the needs of a more advanced course. The numerous reference cited form adequate outside reading for course at any level. It is also hoped that the many charts and example problems will make the book valuable as a reference for those practicing in these areas.

In my opinion that for the most part petroleum engineers are best utilized in drilling operations rather than as designers of equipment. Hence, this text is primarily concerned with operational procedures and not with detailed descriptions and analysis of equipment. The latter coverage is, therefore, restricted to a level necessary for formulation and understanding of the problems. I feel this much is desirable

During the writing of this book it was necessary to ask permission from numerous organizations and individuals for use of various materials. It was gratifying to me that in no case was permission denied. In fact, in most cases much more was offered than was asked for. I have attempted throughout to acknowledge credit for this aid, and I hope no one has been overlooked. Similarly, I have tried to be scrupulously honest in the numerous references cited for it is these authors who have written this book. I merely put it together. I am sure oversights must exist; however, I hope they are few and excusable

I wish to make several specific acknowledgments. First, I express my gratitude to the society of petroleum engineering of AIME and to the American Petroleum Institute, from whose transactions I borrowed heavily.

I also wish to thank the following individuals for their counsel and assistance at various stages of the writing: John A. Casner, Dick Cavnar, Gerald L. Farrar, B. E. Groenewold, Robt. E. Hensley, Frank W. Jessen, G. W. (Sandy) McGaha, Phil C. Montgomery, Edward E. Runyan, Carrol V. Sidwell, Dwight K. Smith, Gould Whaley, Jr., and the late A. W. Walker.

I am greatly indebted to the following for their corrections and criticisms of specific chapters: Robert P. Alger, Fred W. Chisholm, Arthur Lubinski, E. A. Morlan, R. H. Nolley, Robt. L. Slobod, C. Drew Stahl, and Henry B. Woods. I also express my thanks to Joseph J. Cosgrove, Donald H. Crago, Kenneth E. Gray for checking numerous derivations and problems

I shall welcome at any time correspondence concerning errors, suggestions for improvement, or criticisms of the text. Indeed, if I were to start over, I would change a great many things myself. I am informed, however, that he who demands perfection never finishes his book. No perfection exists here for I have finished

Card Gatlin

Share this

Previous
Next Post »
Give us your opinion